Friday, April 03, 2009

Dumping the Tech, Hefting the Filofax


For the last few weeks I've changed the way I run my life in a small but retro way.
I used to be leading edge in my organising. My diary was online and synced with my PDA, a Palm TX which was in many ways ahead of its time. And it even played Scrabble! It fitted my geeky staus to a tee. But the truth was that while very high tech - and oh so much part of the 'cloud computing' age we're said to live in - the system was a pain in the bum. It really was tedious to deal with. Just putting in what I was doing next Tuesday seemed to take ages - putting appointments and my work schedule online seemed to take forever.

Now it's a new era for while on a lunchtime wander in Westfield Shopping Centre I was lured by the charms of an A5 Filofax 'Kendal' (see above). It has a chunky serious look about it which seems to suggest that, yes, this is what important people record their things to do in. Infact it even has a 'things to do' section. In short, it tickles my pompous side. And it's so easy; got something to do next Tuesday? Well, just write it in.

A Filofax. They're so Eighties. Back in that decade I used to have one with an embroidered cover which everyone thought was hilariously camp. Now they've survived the hype - and the label of witless yuppie accessory - and become timelessly cool. Well they are, until I see the next funky gadget.

Filofax paid Hendo no money for this blogpost, in case you're wondering.

2 comments:

Hat Jodelka said...

I was given one in the 80s. A nice black leather one, now somewhat battered. I hadn't used it for ages, maybe because I baulked at the cost of new pages, but anyway, your favourite cat-sitter has now got it and I believe, actually uses it.

Steve Morton said...

Nothing wrong with going retro. Excellent choice in going for the A5 size, although I also use a pocket size one as well!!

You might want to check out: http://philofaxy.blogspot.com/ and
http://www.diyplanner.com/

Regards
Steve